The Casino.ru editorial staff continues a series of publications devoted to various professions in the gambling industry. The hero of the second article was the HR director of one of the CIS gambling companies.
– How long have you been in the gaming industry and what is your current role in society?
– In fact, it is the function of HR and the only recruiter in one person. For me, it's the only process because it's much easier to adapt, motivate and even fire people when you know the employee from the moment you receive the CV and the first interview. In general, I have been working in HR/recruitment for almost 10 years, in gambling for about four years.
– How did you start your professional career?
– From an administrator in an international recruitment agency, then she was an external recruiter, then a recruiter in a food IT company, first without technical specializations, then with and outside them (non-technical specialties), to + technical and then HR. In fact, there was no formal transition to the position – there was a turning point, when it was necessary to make a decision, take responsibility for oneself and become an HR from the position of recruiter independently.
– What are your responsibilities? What is a typical working day?
– Responsibilities – the entire recruitment cycle from the opening of a vacancy to the offer and the entire HR cycle from entry to dismissal. There are many responsibilities, but there is always room for creativity. The company supports any initiative that will have a positive impact on the business as a whole.
I'm building a standard work day for myself. I start in the morning with myself, in the sense that I have to check social networks, news sites. Then I will allocate 2-3 hours for CV analysis, correspondence with candidates, interview appointments. In the afternoon, I focus on more global tasks in the field of HR. However, this division is conditional, because communication with employees, assistance in solving their problems is available both during working hours and after working hours in the format of personal communication or correspondence.
In the United States alone, 350,000 people officially worked in gambling in 2014
– How is HR in the gambling industry different from other areas?
– The gambling industry is a special place and the experts in it are really different from others. Due to the specifics of business, you often need to act quickly and be able to make important decisions in a short time. As a result, in general, specialists are not “processors”, but “results” – they focus on the end result and think about the results, this applies to any position. There is also a minimum of bureaucracy, which allows you to constantly search for new tools for digitization and automation, which management supports and appreciates.
– Do you have any experience with hiring foreign specialists? What are their main differences from employees from Russia and Ukraine?
– I have had experience working with English-speaking candidates, it's like a personal challenge. When interviewing in a foreign language, it is a bit more difficult to find the right words and gain a sense of the candidate's character and soft skills. It takes a little more time to understand if your candidate is. I do not see any difference in employees from Russia and Ukraine, they all have the same goals. Natives have a more mature approach, a better understanding of exactly what they want, and a more open expression of what they are looking for. Maybe the situation has changed now, but about 4 years ago, when the natives realized that there were few of them, they felt that the game was on their side, they behaved more confident.
– How have people's attitudes and reception methods changed over the last 10 years? What changes can we expect in the coming years?
– There are more resources for finding specialists, the site itself is improving, new features are emerging that really save time. For example, an online chat with a candidate on the Rabota.ua website. I'm not a fan of phone candidates because I have to go to a meeting room, which distracts me, and online chat allows you to clarify the necessary details in a correspondence format with the candidate and solve other problems at the same time. I think there will be more and more necessary and useful automation tools. And that's good news.
– What channels do you use to find staff? What works best?
– It all depends on the specifics of the position. The standard for development and the highest position is Djinni. This is more suitable for finding traders, telegram channels work well for them. Linkedin was also not canceled. It takes more time to work with it, but it is still a good tool for finding rare specialists. For beginners, jobs remain relevant. And of course the recommendations of the employees work very well.
– What causes the biggest problems in hiring?
– Specific specifics – Not all job seekers want to gamble. And the inability to openly identify the product to be worked on. For example, in the job description.
– How much is the turnover of employees in gambling and why?
– We have a small turnover. Basically, it is in the support service, mainly due to internal rotation: the growth of employee skills and, as a result, the transfer to a higher position.
– What are the main problems you will encounter now when looking for new people?
– It is difficult to find professionals when it is critical that a candidate has relevant experience in a specialized field because no one publicly lists a gambling company in the profile due to the NDA.
– If you want to work in the gambling industry, how to get there?
– Many people rely on a support service because that's where you can best study the product itself and your audience.
– Are the salaries of online casino specialists different from those in other areas?
– Yes, they usually differ upwards for the same positions. At the same time, for technical specialists involved in the development, the market price does not depend on the niche.
– Recruitment requires a lot of communication with people. Are there times of burnout and fatigue from people? How do you handle it?
– Of course, there are such moments. Here, the ability to switch between tasks and changing the environment helps. If I feel that I am not emotionally ready for communication, I will move on to analytical work, study or the development of something new. It will also help to change the scenery – leave the city for a weekend, spend time with loved ones in a close circle.
– What are the main advantages and disadvantages of your profession? What is the hardest and what is charged the most?
– The pros are communication with specialists from various professions, with interesting people. Opportunity to help individual specialists and companies become better and more successful. The ability to act out of the box, to be creative, to research or to come up with various functions, the implementation of which facilitates certain processes. People management, non-standard tasks, freedom of action and the ability to come up with something new.
On the downside – the work is quite stressful, due to the niche, everything is often needed “yesterday”. When solving a business problem, we must not forget the human factor. Even if you feel stressed inside, then when communicating with employees you need to be able to forget these emotions and move on to the positive. The first dismissal of the employee was, of course, very difficult. This is something that will be remembered forever. The dismissal of an employee is now the door to something better for him. The ability to say goodbye beautifully and correctly is a profitable skill.
Useful “If the dealer is at the table, he's a professional.” Interview with a dealer from Casino Sochi The hero of other material was Elena S., who works as a croupier at the Sochi Casino. The 22-year-old took up the position after finding a vacancy at a well-known recruitment position, and does not regret her choice a bit. We … Read more
– Why do you fire people most often and how to do it right?
– Mostly due to lack of results at work. The dismissal must always be correct and must be carried out independently by the manager or by three of us (employee and manager). Be sure to state the reasons for the dismissal.
– Which is better: a novice with no experience with burning eyes or an employee with experience?
– Ideally, a person with experience and burning eyes.
– Are there more negative or positive emotions, routines or creativity in your work?
– Of Of course positive emotions, I can find them even in the most stressful situations. Routine and creativity – 30 to 70. I try to make life easier and find ways to shorten the routine, I like to automate processes – for me it's part of creativity.
– What benefits should HR have for effective work?
– Effectiveness, stress resilience, flexibility, creativity, tolerance, the ability to take responsibility and admit mistakes.
– How much does HR earn on average? What is his income – fixed part, bonuses for a hired expert, something else?
– In my case, the position combines recruitment and HR, so there is no point in making a bonus for a hired specialist – I'm looking for people for my own company. If the company has a recruitment department that deals exclusively with search and selection, then yes, the bonus for the hired employee should be paid after the probationary period by the candidate. The recruiter will therefore be interested in the quick adaptation of the newcomer and will help him with that.
There should definitely be an HR award, but no matter the time – only with a focus on results: a new element is developed and implemented, a tool implemented to automate any routine tasks, etc. Of course, the salary fork depends – $ 1,500 to $ 3,500. Yes, the scope is large, but positions in different companies imply different roles.
The oldest gambling establishment in Monaco is the Monte Carlo Casino
– What is considered unacceptable in this profession?
– Dislike of people, unwillingness to understand the business in which you work and which you help to develop by constantly working with employees. It's crazy, but discipline is very important for HR, as well as for every leader and team leader.
– What do your family, relatives and friends think about your job?
– Great, for the most part no one knows the scope of the company. And those who know are neutral.
– Are you gambling?
– Rarely and purely for testing your company's product. I like it, but not to the extent that I can spend my free time playing the game. I treat the gambling industry normally, treating business as trade.
– Do you have experience playing in a stone casino?
– Yes, but also just for fun. He was in one of the oldest casinos in Monaco. It would be silly to be there and not play. Insanely colorful place and pleasant atmosphere.
- “I haven't felt the pain of conscience in a long time.” Interview with a former online casino call center employee
- “By collusion with dealer, the player needs 5 minutes. ” Interview with a former seller of a stone casino in Russia. Part 2
- “There was a grate at the entrance, only our own people were allowed in.” Interview with a former employee of an illegal slot machine hall. Part 1
- “Poker is my love for life.” Interview with Arthur Voskanyan, Director of Casino Sochi
- “We like to give players a choice.” Interview with 2By2 Gaming Director
- “Customer issues are solved first, then everything else.” Interview with RedStar Online Casino Manager
- “The biggest investment in my life is gambling addiction.” Interview with associate and streamer Shamil Slotshunter Ponomarev
- “I'm a very gambler who can't stop.” Interview with Kushnirenko Elina, PR Director at Krasnaya Polyana Gambling Zone
- The most important thing is the ability to communicate with people. Interview with Dmitry Anfinogenov, Director of Gambling Development Krasnaya Polyana
- “I am a fish player, as a webmaster I am more successful.” Interview with Strij webmaster
- “We offer exactly what players are waiting. ”Interview with Fugaso's Director of Business Development Interview with the head of the marketing department of the Czech studio
- “We need more gold!” Interview with AffGambler